Imagen de avatar Briclibrl,China Spandex Fabric
briclibrl

Her Highly Finished Paintings

The intimate format of the sketchbooks offers a view of the work process as well as personal evolution of the artist. They address a stoic acceptance of contemporary life’s complexity and contradiction. Most of my work talks about life and reflects its surroundings. You will see the timeless, serene and unrushed world in my paintings created using earthy colours invaded by daggers, guns, cars, arrows and airplanes. Arpita says, “Although these sketches are mostly preparatory images for my oils, they are dense and stretch across the paper like memories.” In recent times, Singh’s use of text to create forms and the origami shapes that she has developed are also on display.”end-of. But it was the idea of the gallery director and to my surprise, the response has been very good. She says, “Through my works I directly react to the shattering reality of the world outside.”Her works seem to indicate that beneath the surface of beauty, there are disturbing undercurrents and it is best to bring them out in the open. I never thought them worthy of an exhibition, let alone a solo.”The collection on display includes monochromatic, small-format works that also include poems, texts and maps.

These small format works which date from 1990 to 2015 offer a glimpse of both the preparatory and finished works by her. Her use of the line — broken, fragmented or staccato, which may resemble a map or an ECG — offers a completely different way of viewing her works from her highly finished paintings. In her work titled Four Men, politicians in white kurta pajamas sit and talk; while Leaping Bridge refers to the partition and the Ramayana showing an unnatural line running through a map and dividing it into two sections; and her recent work Chasing Away an Animal reflects the present day situation of the country print fabric with a dead cow painted in red. Her influences range from politics, myth, memory and the inner lives of women to Bengali Kantha work and patachitra. The golden deer from the Ramayan leaps across the border. Arpita shares, “My work is topical, reflecting India’s sectarian wars, its violence towards women and other social issues.

Vadehra Art Gallery showcases for the first time sketches and drawings by artist Arpita Singh in an untitled solo exhibition in the capitalWork from the exhibition on display at the Vadehra Art Gallery till December 2, 2015 Vadehra Art Gallery showcases for the first time sketches and drawings by artist Arpita Singh in an untitled solo exhibition in the capitalFigurative and modernist painter Arpita Singh is showcasing a collection of her sketches and drawings in a solo exhibition in the capital. I like to play with geometrical, fragmented forms that looks like dense newspapers or maps. I try and capture every aspect of life. Known for her large format oil works, Arpita says, “I had no plans to showcase my sketches as these are my initial works before transforming into larger canvases.”Singh is known for her enigmatic works that offer a complex view of the world. “This is how partition divided the country — the Line of Control even cut through people’s kitchens. From a distance, the picture appears as though it is a patchwork fabric with cross-stitch; or a barbed wire; or even an ECG reading — depending on your perspective. It is not critiquing but the aim is to begin a conversation with the viewers.

Tags:

Deja un comentario