Imagen de avatar China Wholesale ball pen with highlighter
encilp

hundreds faceless people

She has painted the works on paper, which were then photographed and printed on carpet using the chromojet printing technique. As these master craftsmen weave visual symphonies in the quiet, I sought to add a sonorous dimension to what they do. Together, they come together to form a language, and therefore a culture. He says, “To me, the alphabet is a perfect metaphor for unity in diversity. By creating a unique sound instrument out of the tools of a weaver, my piece aims at expressing the voice of these craftsmen through music. Their lives are fraught with issues like education or lack of it leading to exploitation, low wages, unavailability of yarn, middlemen, finding markets for the end produce etc.The exhibition can be viewed at The Stainless Gallery, Old Ishwar Nagar, New Delhi from November 21 till December 31, 2015, 11 am to 7 pm. Another body of works are sculptural heads, these heads are inspired by weavers in the factory, Sahaya has created the heads using clay and discarded parts of machinery from the factory.com.

Says Smith: “Each art work has been created using the techniques involved in weaving industry – tufting, braiding, kilim and pitloom weaving to name a few. Through this creative process, each artist has gained an insight into many new techniques that they hope to use in future as well, while the weavers have begun to look at their daily mechanical chores with a new, respectful gaze, as something that can be used to create a piece of art.”Nidhi Khurana’s larger than life 26 x 16 foot map of Panipat on the other hand is very modern and incorporates several techniques of weaving.”Nikheel Aphale, a calligraphy designer, has used the technique of yarn wrapping for one of his sculptural works.” Sumeet Nath of the Raj Group under whose the aegis the show is being held says, “As an industry that survives on the art of weaving, it is imperative to find a way to create tangible memories from a tradition that may cease to exist in the future.”Sandeep Biswas, a photographer has created photo installations.”The name Panipat conjures up the images of the three historical battles of Panipat and one of our most creative artists, Durga Kainthola’s works hark back to these where each work is defined by a portrait of the emperors – Babur, Akbar and Sadhashiv Rao Bhau using the miniature style in a very large format. Here I have followed every aspect of the process that starts with raw wool being spread over large areas, stuffed in bags, carried to the looms and the hands that work tirelessly through the year, surrounded by the vastness of various material and color.Dr Alka Raghuvanshi is an art writer, curator and artist and can be contacted on alkaraghuvanshi@yahoo. This piece has been done using wool, metal wire, mirrors and metal mesh.I am an unabashed admirer of our weavers and will go many extra miles in honour of the sheer genius of their artistry, technique, aesthetics, but even more than that I bow my head to the fact that continue to practice their art despite all odds.

Some have been printed on a metallic finish surface. She says, “Exploring the technique of textile is the new turning point in my journey and a new expression of my newly adapted language – the language of art and I am not trapped within rigid forms and ideas.The eleven participating artists Abeer Gupta, Brahm Maira, Dhvani Behl, Durga Kainthola, Nidhi Khurana, Nikheel Apahle, Puneet Kaushik, Sahaya Sharma, Sandeep Biswas, Shivani Aggarwal and Vibhu Galhotra worked almost for a year on it and the effort is well worth it, for it is beautifully conceived and curated by Shailin Smith. At the centre of this project is the relationship that two creative individuals share, even though, they come from completely different worlds. I have travelled to most saree weaving centres in the country and seen their lives are not half as lovely as the dreams they weave. A hand-tufted calligraphy piece, with the words Kar, Kari, Kora, Kaar taken from one of Kabir’s Dohas, depict the weaver, his tool and hands. Shivani says, “During my numerous trips to the factory I was drawn to the various instruments weavers and the factory workers were using. He says, “Observing the dexterity with which the craftsmen use their handlooms and pit-looms, I saw a parallel with which string instrumentalist pluck at their instruments. Her sculptures use raw wool and spun yarn to create texture and form. Another work titled Layers & The Surface represents the human under skin and has been created using the hand tufting gun. Her works have been created on the pitloom, using the hand tufting gun and chromojet printing. The other works are a group of five instruments like the trimming scissors, the panja, the kundi , common knife and the reel of thread so commonly seen at the factory. Then binding, chikan work and bath mat tufting techniques have been done to give texture to the work. Vibhu Galhotra is a musician who has created a musical instrument that has been inspired by the pit and kilim looms.

Sahaya Sharma has created a series of five circular abstract works. Using a traditional loom as my base, I reconstructed it to be a musical instrument. Last week when I saw the show Fibre Fables where contemporary artists collaborated with weavers to create works of contemporary art, I returned feeling very elated for it is a salute to the nameless, faceless industrial workers of Panipat for the collaborative works have accessed modern techniques and technology to create larger than life works to huge impact. These sculptures create a sort of historical yet mythologised narrative that is both about the craftsman as well as the craft. Each alphabet has a unique character in terms of phonetics and forms. She has used braided carpets for the base, then on it she has incorporated screen printing, hand tufting, pitloom weaving, kilim weaving, bath tufting, embroidery, applique work and chromojet printing. He says, “My work is a visual exploration and journey in to the world of the carpet industry and the hundreds faceless people who create those magnificent rugs that we proudly use in our décor.”While Abeer Gupta created a sound piece using all the diverse sounds from the factory, Brahm Maira created photographic works that capture the factory ambience using the technique of photo manipulation.”Shivani Aggarwal, created sculptural installations of tools used in the factory, one of which is a large wooden shuttle wrapped in yarn. Among the most exciting was the shuttle, which the weavers were constantly working with. Says Khurana: “The map of Panipat is a physical manifestation of my interaction with the ancient city. Through scale and form, each piece is meant to take on a form that is surreal and yet majestic, these figures are like warriors, traveling through time, telling their own stories.

Numerous images of the process and material, digitally overlapping each other are on a loop on these digital screens. One of his works is an installation that uses a huge charkha on which he has added digital screens. These tools have been fabricated in fibre glass and then covered with pieces of namda. Dhvani Behl is Jumbo highlighter Manufacturers a textile designer who created amorphous sculptures on the pitloom and one sculpture using the hand tufting gun. The work attempts to uncover the hidden heart of the city, buried deep beneath the debris of industrialization. I have enlarged this instrument to a height of 5 ft in wood and have worked with threads on it.”Puneet Kaushik, an installation artist, has created installations using different techniques. It is a layered depiction that strives to discover the historical past and connects it to the present in the form of an interface. One of his works titled Roots has been woven on the kilim loom using metal wire mesh and wool

Tags:

Deja un comentario